Sunday, April 25, 2010

FINALLY!

You will be glad to hear that I finally found Morels! It took forever but my patience (hahaha) was well worth the wait. Over the entire weekend I probably picked about 20 which is not bad for the first good hit of Spring. Saturday I woke up super early and was in the forests by 6am. It took me 8 hours before finding a really great spot, my new honey spot. I headed back there late this morning to see what had popped up overnight. After a few minutes of brushing the forest floor and seeing amazing polypori, a car pulled up. I was a little nervous about who would be intruding on "MY" forest. A father and son team headed into the woods on the other side of the road and later asked how my hunt was going. Luckily I had nothing exciting to report. If you don't know, "honey spots" are closely guarded secrets and most mushroom hunters won't give too much information away. The dad told me they had 14 from their previous areas and that they had seen people picking over the area we were in. More people know about this spot? AHH! Next week I will have to get there at 5AM! I spent about 45 minutes (maybe more... probably more) without anything. I pressed on despite the rain and even after the competing pair left. Finally I spotted the perfect tree from across the way and just knew I would be lucky. There were 8 spread out around the base of the dead Maple. I shrieked in excitement. I kept going but decided I had enough for dinner and a few extras for a friend. Next week should be fantastic, a little more rain and a lot more sun will do the trick. I want to organize a hunt with some friends but first need to secure some more spots. It would be heartbreaking and embarrassing to take others out with me and not find anything. Tonight, I will be sauteing the Morels in butter with a little salt and pepper. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment