Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pickles, Pickles, Pickles (can't think of anything more creative.)

With a light breeze running through the house and the plants soaking up the sun I knew it was the perfect day to start preparing summer pickles. I have had the urge all week but felt that standing over a hot stove, boiling vinegar wasn't going to be fun in 90 degree weather. So I dragged Chris to the grocery store this morning to pick up some new pickling salt and spice and cucumbers and carrots. Once I got home and pulled out my recipes, I realized I had forgotten mustard seeds but decided to just fiddle around with ingredients and pray for the best (I'm not even a big fan of mustard so this could all be for the best and I know the pickles will be great no matter what.) Starting with the carrots, I peeled and sliced them on a bias making 1/4" chips, chopping about 6 cups total. With the carrots cut and placed in a large jar I crushed 5 cloves of garlic and dropped them on top. Then I boiled for 4 minutes a combination of 1 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 cups white vinegar with 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt, 1 tablespoon pickling spice, 1 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper and 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion. After carefully pouring the hot brine over the carrots I left them open and on the counter to rest until reaching room temperature. Then I capped the jar and put them in the fridge. Next I moved onto the cucumbers, slicing two large ones into 1/4" chips. The process was basically the same and the brine was 1 1/2 cups water + 1 1/2 cups white vinegar +1 1/2 tablespoons pickling spice + 3/4 cup sugar + 2 teaspoons oregano + 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion + 6 cloves of garlic, crushed. Boil for 4 minutes but instead of pouring over the cucumbers let this rest until it comes to room temperature. I hate nothing more than soggy/soft pickles, I like a crunch and cooling the brine first will keep the crisp in the cucumber. Of course you will have to wait a few days before eating these but to me the wait is worth it. I'm anxious to pop the tops and snack on some fiery carrot chips and some cool, fresh pickle slices but until then I will just have to find a new project.

No comments:

Post a Comment