Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hope you're having a great weekend

I am! I loved waking up to the rain this morning. It was so perfect and it really feels like fall now. I am looking forward to turning the heat on and pulling out the blankets and throw pillows and stashing the air conditioners and fans. Decorating is coming and I'm already looking at fog machines and cauldrons and much, much more. I wanted to share a few beautiful pictures from my garden... errr... jungle. It sure is starting to look like a jungle.
1. My Drosera is going into bloom! It sent up this long staff last week and finally the buds are starting to show off their hot pink petals. It should be quite amazing when it has fully opened. Plus I can just let them go to seed and we'll have many more Droseras in a few months.


2. My Euphorbia or Crown of Thorns are in full bloom. As I mentioned in previous posts, this is a member of the succulent family. It requires few watering, about every two or three weeks a water-through will do, and it is a constant bloomer, making it ideal as a gift or addition to a sunny spot. One of my favorite plants, currently having two in my collection but more to come... I'm sure. The blooms come in a variety of reds ranging from pink to salmon, also yellows, oranges and creams are common. It requires a 1:1 ratio of sand and compost but be careful, as its name suggests there are many, many thorns hidden beneath its long, oval foliage.

3. Last and certainly not least, one of the best additions to the garden. I stopped by Talisman Glass Studio last week to say hello to my good friend and teacher Sharon Gilbert. I have known Sharon for almost 11 years now when she first started teaching me how to blow glass. We've been great friends over the years and on this visit she gave me a little gift. It was an extra piece from a wall installation she did way back in 2001. I immediately knew where this gorgeous bulb would be placed. I wove a basket hammock for it to hang in and strung it up from the bottom of a golden pathos. It is just breath taking and looks especially stunning in the early morning when the light is shining through and the cobalt, greens and golds are illuminated. It's just awesome and I love it and cannot take my eyes from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment