Friday, September 3, 2010

The forest has officially moved inside!


Remember the terrariums we made back in the Spring? I was so inspired by these neat little ecosystems captured inside of sleek glass jars that I decided to redecorate our apartment around the terrariums. I quickly began designing a wall of terrariums that would surround our entertainment center. I also customized bookshelves bought from a thrift store. They were just two cases from a school library with an open top. All I did was cut a piece of pine to fit on top and screwed it down. It still needs to be painted the same chocolate color as our molding but for now it works. I then used this as a room divider, separating our open floor plan into two areas: the den/entertainment room and the library and kitchen. As you probably know by now, I am a huge outdoors person, always getting out for a hike or foray whenever I can. Naturally it made the most sense to try and capture the serenity of the woods in my everyday life. With this in mind I quickly started building upon my plant collection, taking it from 14 to 75 in just a couple months. I did my research and found plants that I would love and that would fit where I needed them. Using hanging baskets,I created even more of a division by planting two Golden Pothos and a giant Australian Sword fern above the bookcase. On top of the shelf I added many moderate to highlight houseplants ranging from Begonia Rex all the way to the desert's Crown of Thorns. This installation creates enough of a false wall effect to give the feel for separate rooms but still leaves enough openness so I can chat with guests on the couch while preparing drinks or dinner or keep up with my favorite television program while washing dishes. Happy but not completely satisfied with the spread of my plants I am still researching, looking to fill in dark spots with other potbound housemates. I also have passiflora being trained to crawl up a hanging grid system that will eventually create a beautiful canopy draped from the ceiling. These wonderful vines which produce passionfruit, branch out 15-30 feet and have the most unusual and fragrant flowers. I hope that by next spring our entire library will be shaded by this glorious vine.

Other than being used as a design element, plants have other fantastic benefits for their owners. NASA recommends that each home have at least 10 houseplants to purify air. Studies have shown that children who grew up with houseplants are healthier, smarter and lived longer. Besides this, many plants produce fruits and vegetables or edible leaves and flowers. If you have the right amount of sun why not grow your own citrus, herbs and other yummy treats. Many houseplants also produce fragrant flowers which will eliminate the use of those terrible deodorizing sprays like Fabreeze and Lysol. These are not only bad for the earth but also horrible for people and pets. Another benefit is that plants neutralize the homes atmosphere. Now what does that mean? Well they will keep the humidity up in the winter, keep the temperatures more regular (reducing the need for constant heating or cooling) and they absorb sound. All great things! If you have children who are nagging you for a doggy or a hamster, get them a plant first. Make sure they are able to take care of something without a heartbeat before getting them their first pet. I encourage everyone to head out and pick up a few green buddies for your home. Do the proper research for the area you want to add to. What kind of light exposure can this spot provide? Are you willing to make sure that it is watered regularly or would you do better with a more forgiving plant? These are all good questions to ask yourself before heading to your favorite nursery with your credit card out and ready. Take advantage of the employees too. They will be more than happy to help you and most (even at places like Home Depot and Loews) are quite knowledgeable. Don't go for the expensive, decorative pots either! These are often glazed and make plant keeping much harder. Certain moisture loving plants could potentially thrive in them but most will perish. I always use terracotta or another natural, unglazed clay pot. The only exception I make is when the plants will be put out in the summer heat, where the moisture will evaporate more quickly. If you have to have that gorgeous $200 container, buy a terracotta pot that fits easily inside it with a few inches of pea gravel in the bottom. This way the soil can still breath and moisture will disperse more quickly. I will tell you about all the different varieties I have, with pictures and care instructions soon. For now here's a picture of a large portion of my collection. The first is looking into the kitchen and the second is looking out from the kitchen. The longer hanging basket was achieved simply by removing the original chain with needle-nosed pliers and replacing it with 3 foot long pieces of chain I bought for few bucks at Home Depot.

1 comment:

  1. I am inspired! I took all my plants to the classroom and have the kids care for them. I realized I only have 1 large snake plant left inside. Home depot, here I come!! You should come visit, my science class is going to be starting up a green house that is connnected to jr high but hasnt been used in years. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete